Time of sowing
- The optimum sowing time for desi gram under rainfed conditions is from 10 October to 25 October.
- Under irrigated conditions both desi and kabuli gram should be sown from 25 October to 10 November.
- The early-sown crop suffers from wilt owing to high temperature at that time. It also attains excessive vegetative growth which results in poor seed-set.
- On the other hand, the late sown crop makes poor vegetative growth, with inadequate root development which results in low yield.
- This can be partly compensated by increasing the seed rate.
Sowing on right time is necessary as early sowing leads to excessive vegetative growth, also crop get affected due to wilt while late sowing, crop make poor vegetative growth and inadequate root development.
Seed should be spaced 10 cm apart allowing 30-40 cm between rows.
The seed should be placed 10-12.5 cm deep.
Method of sowing
In north India, it is sown by pora method.